If you want to sell your house in California, there are different options available. The conventional option is to use the services of a real estate agent. While this is convenient, you can end up paying a lot of money as commission.
There are other options where you can save commission money and sell your house conveniently. This guide tells you how to sell a house in California in the best possible way. Go through the guide before you proceed with selling your house in California.
Table of Contents
The FSBO model
When you are selling your house, a major issue is the commission to be paid to the real estate agent. Since the commission can be anywhere from 5% to 6%, you can end up paying thousands. If you want to save this money, you can go with the FSBO option. FSBO is For Sale By The Owner, where you sell your house yourself.
In this option, you do not use the services of a real estate agent. Instead, you find a website where you can register your house for sale. You can then manage the entire sale process yourself. Most FSBO websites allow you to list your house for free. So, you will end up saving a lot of money.
Your next question would be where can I list my house for sale by owner for free. Before answering this question, we need to look at the pros and cons of FSBO.
Pros or benefits of FSBO
- The biggest benefit is that you can save thousands of dollars on the commission that you would need to pay to a real estate agent.
- You have complete control over the sale of your house. You don’t have to depend on an agent and can manage the transaction yourself.
- When you list on an FSBO website, usually the listing is for free. Also, the sites allow you to list your site quickly increasing your chances of making a quick sale.
Cons or risks of FSBO
- You are on your own in FSBO. The entire process of listing your property, talking to buyers, negotiation, documentation, and closing has to be handled by you. For first-time sellers, this can be a daunting experience.
- FSBO listing does not list your house on the MLS. This is essential if you want to get potential buyers to see your listing.
- There are usually hidden charges that you may come to know only later.
- Many FSBO websites do not have good customer reviews. You can end up with a bitter experience.
The solution, therefore, is to find an FSBO website that is reliable and most importantly lists your house on the MLS.
Key things to keep in mind
The following are useful tips that explain the key things to keep in mind when you sell your house in California.
- Choose the best website to list your house. The website should allow FSBO registration and also list your house on the MLS. It should offer you sizable savings on commission.
- Get your home ready for sale. Finish basic tasks like cleaning the house, getting it repaired and repainted, and making it look appealing.
- There are a number of disclosures required by California law. You need to get them all ready. You can take the help of the website you list your home for this.
- Pricing is the key. The price should be such that it meets your requirements but is not overpriced. Pricing too high can put off serious buyers. Do some research on market prices before you decide on the pricing.
- Create an attractively worded property description on the website. Upload photos that show off your house in the best way.
- Showings are important as they allow buyers to come and visit your house before buying. Look for a professional website that allows you to manage showings.
- Once you find potential buyers, you need to negotiate with them. This is an important step where the help of professionals is needed. Most websites offer support during negotiation. If you are a first-time seller, you can use this support service.
- Buyers may want to carry out an appraisal or inspection. Ensure this is done effectively. You may need to stage your house for this.
- Closing is where the deal is closed and formalities are completed. There are documents required to be maintained. Ensure everything is done smoothly by taking the help of a professional.
The best way to sell your house in California
The best way to sell your house is to register it with Houzeo. This technology company that operates nationally works on a flat fee MLS model. This allows owners to sell their websites themselves by registering on Houzeo. The flat fee of $499 ensures the house is listed on MLS. This increases the chances of getting the best deal. The technology on their website and mobile app allows users a seamless experience managing their listing.
Houzeo reviews by customers indicate they are very happy with the customer support offered. This is why they have a rating of 4.9/5. Working with Houzeo allows you to save a lot of money on commission. If you need their help, they offer various services that you can opt for.
There are many FSBO websites, some of which offer MLS listing for a flat fee. Unfortunately, most of them do not have a credible customer rating. These websites also are not known for offering good support. Some of them even have hidden charges that you will find out later. Compared to all of them, Houzeo is the best website that can help you sell your house in California. Selling on FSBO is complex. Using the help of a professional company like Houzeo will help you make it easy.